NEWARK -- Two people suffered minor injuries to their eyes following an ammonia leak in a bakery early Saturday morning, an Alameda County fire official said.

Firefighters and the county's hazardous materials team responded to a 5:16 a.m. report of the leak at FullBloom Baking Co. at 6500 Overlake Place, said Battalion Chief Tony Connell.

Employees smelled ammonia, called authorities and evacuated the building situated between Jarvis Avenue and Highway 84, Connell said.

Two employees who complained of pain and irritation to their eyes were treated at the scene, firefighters said.

The leak was caused by a malfunctioning valve, and the company's detection system shut down its machinery when it identified the problem, fire officials said.

A repair crew is scheduled to repair the valve Saturday, Connell said.

FullBloom was honored three months ago by President Barack Obama, who recognized the company as a "Champion of Change" because of its sustainable, environmentally friendly production methods.

Contact Chris De Benedetti at 510-353-7011. Follow him at Twitter.com/cdebenedetti.