A house fire in Castro Valley on Tuesday afternoon left a family of five temporarily homeless, an Alameda County fire spokesman said.

The one-alarm fire was reported at 4:46 p.m. in the 20500 block of Wisteria Street, Battalion Chief Chip Anderson said.

It started when a dryer in a bathroom caught fire, and the flames spread to the adjacent kitchen. Firefighters managed to control the blaze within about 15 minutes, but not before the bathroom and kitchen were destroyed, Anderson said.

The power was shut off to the single-family residence, which will need to be inspected, and the bathroom and kitchen must be rebuilt.

The Red Cross is assisting the two adults and three children displaced by the fire, Anderson said. No one was injured.




Advertisement