Nathaniel Manlangit, a 26-year-old transient charged with fatally beating a man with a baseball bat inside a Great Mall sporting goods store in early June, is expected to return to San Jose Hall of Justice next week.
Angela Bernhard, a Santa Clara County deputy district attorney, said the case will return to court at 9 a.m. Monday at 190 W. Hedding St. in San Jose.
Manlangit is accused of hitting 31-year-old San Jose resident Carlos Caloca 11 times in the head with a bat at Sports Authority at 1200 Great Mall Drive on June 7. Manlangit told the first police officer to arrive at the store Carloca had threatened him with a knife.
But authorities have not indicated whether a knife was found, the nature of the relationship between the two men, or whether there had been a prior altercation between the two that might have led to Carloca's death.
"The investigation is still proceeding," Bernhard said.
She added Mon-day's hearing may merely be procedural as Manlangit's public defender is still gaining information to mount a legal defense.
"We are in the process of getting the defense
all the discovery and
they may be doing investigation themselves," Bernhard said. Ã
Manlangit is not eligible for bail in this case. If convicted, he may face first-degree murder charges of 25 years to life in prison.
The June 7 slaying was the first homicide in Milpitas this year. The last homicide occurred during an early morning robbery on Sept. 8, 2012 at the 7-Eleven at 1496 N. Milpitas Blvd., in which a store clerk was shot and killed by three armed men.