SAN CARLOS -- Acting on concerns from city officials that a failure to properly inspect a natural gas pipeline could lead to an explosion like the one that devastated a San Bruno neighborhood in 2010, a San Mateo County judge late Friday ordered PG&E to shut down the pipeline.

Superior Court Judge George Miram signed a temporary injunction shortly after San Carlos City Manager Jaff Maltbie declared a state of emergency following the company's refusal to act on the city's request to close the pipeline, known as line 147. The company has until Oct. 15 to contest the order; a hearing is scheduled for Oct. 24.

In a news release, city officials said they had been verbally assured by a high ranking PG&E official that the line was safe as recently as Sept. 16.

"PG&E's own information on Line 147 is contradictory, and confusing regarding the safety of line 147," said San Carlos Mayor Bob Grassilli. "We believe PG&E has a responsibility to our community to put safety ahead of operational challenges, and should immediately suspend the use of line 147."

Documents provided to the city by the company showed PG&E officials questioning whether the pipelines had been properly maintained and inspected. One official states that after reviewing records, inspectors believe the pipe dates to 1929 and had found external corrosion.

A Nov. 14, 2012, email notes that "A recent leak repair effort on L-147 ... has revealed pipe specification(s) that are inconsistent with the current data in the PG&E system."

Another employee expresses serious reservations about the pipe's safety in a Nov. 17, 2012, email.

"After thinking about this some more, I have some concerns about this pipe," the employee writes. "Are we sitting on a San Bruno situation? ... Is the pipe cracked and near failure?

"I don't want to panic people but seems like we should consider this and probably move the pipe up ... for replacement."

A PG&E spokesman said Friday night that the company had voluntarily reduced the flow of gas by 20 percent through Line 147 and they are considering further reductions.

"We want our customers to know that they are safe and if this line wasn't safe, it wouldn't be in service," said spokesman Greg Snapper. "We need to be delivering reliable, safe gas service to our customers."

Snapper went on to say that the agency commended the employee quoted in the email released by city officials, saying PG&E encourages employees to raise questions so that crews can check on any and all queries.

Even though the reduction in the gas flow did not directly impact customers, Snapper said, line 147 is a "main artery" in the area. With cold weather coming, the agency will be heavily dependent on the line to provide gas to customers.

In a statement released to the city of San Carlos late Friday, Jesus Soto, senior vice president of gas operations for PG&E, said that a new 20-inchvalve was installed under Brittan Avenue to further ensure the integrity of the line after a 2011 test.

Line 147 runs through the city of San Carlos, mainly under Brittan Avenue.

On Sept. 9, 2010, eight people were killed and dozens of homes burned after a 30-inch, high-pressure pipe running under the Crestmoor neighborhood in San Bruno tore open along a faulty seam, causing a massive explosion and fire.