This is a sampling from Bay Area News Group's Political Blotter blog. Read more and post comments at www.ibabuzz.com/politics.

Nov. 21

The 2014 campaign for the 15th Congressional District seat has started sounding a lot like the 2012 campaign, as former Congressman Pete Stark has vengefully pledged to support a challenger to the fellow Democrat who unseated him, Rep. Eric Swalwell.

"Hopefully, Eric will lose, and I am doing everything I can to see that Ellen Corbett wins that primary election," Stark told CQ Roll Call on Wednesday. "I remember Eric, during the campaign against me, suggested that I was too old and inept to be of any value in the political process, so I am going to see if I can prove that to be wrong."

State Sen. Ellen Corbett, D-San Leandro, has trailed Swalwell, D-Pleasanton, thus far in fundraising and visibility, but Stark hopes to change that.

"I know that Eric used to say that I had $30 million," Stark said. "I wish he was correct. But I have at least half that much at my disposal, and so I intend to broadcast far and wide his ethics problems and his inexperience and his failure to accomplish much in the Congress."

Stark's 2012 campaign committee contributed $2,000 to Corbett's campaign in August.

Then again, Swalwell beat the 20-term incumbent last year in part because the district's voters apparently were fed up with Stark's behavior, including a series of unsupported accusations against Swalwell and others. Stark's pledge to spend from his own pocket on Corbett's campaign begs questions both of why he hasn't done so thus far, and why he didn't do so to keep himself in office last year.

Swalwell said Thursday that voters decided last year to replace a 40-year incumbent, and that he has kept his promise "to bring new energy and ideas to Congress. It's time to move on and look forward, and not go back to the tired politics of the past."

"He's trying to buy a seat in Congress for a friend that he couldn't win for himself. But this seat isn't for sale," Swalwell added. "It's one gift money can't buy."

Swalwell seems proud of the CQ Roll Call story, as he has been sharing it via social media.

"Last yr voters told Pete Stark, 'bye, bye!' But he took it as 'buy, buy!' & says he'll spend $15M to help my opponent," Swalwell tweeted Thursday morning.

He also posted the story on his Facebook page. "The voters have moved on and this seat is not for sale. I promise to keep bringing new energy and ideas to Congress," he wrote there.

Corbett has not yet returned a call and an email seeking comment.

UPDATE @ 2:35 P.M.: "I have a broad coalition of support from throughout the district, from people who realize I have a superior record of achieving for the district, and that includes Congressman Stark," Corbett said Thursday afternoon. "It seems that Eric is picking a fight with the former congressman, but I'm running to offer voters a choice and I will be standing on my own record of public service to this district. After all, that's what democracy is all about, and I look forward to the campaign."