HAYWARD -- An explosion caused by a gas leak triggered a one-alarm fire Friday morning at a home near Lone Tree Cemetery, injuring a man who was sent flying across a room, a fire official said.
The man, who lived alone and is in his 50s, was taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries after the 5 a.m. incident at a home on the 24700 block of Fairview Avenue, said Hayward Fire Department spokesman Don Nichelson.
Pieces of the one-bedroom house were scattered across the lawn including the front door, which was blown about 70 feet away.
Other pieces of the cream-colored home, such as roof and fencing material, could be seen as far as two homes down the street. Windows from nearby houses also blew out and neighbors as far as three homes down said they heard the explosion.
The blast, which caused $225,000 in damage to the home, was a result of a gas leak in a dryer, Nichelson said.
The resident was being treated for minor cuts and bruises on Friday, Nichelson said.
Laura Oda contributed to this report. Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.