SAN JOSE -- Crews battled two house fires that erupted Tuesday afternoon, pulling an unconscious cat from one burning home and reviving it with oxygen, said fire officials.

The blaze on the 600 block of Los Huecos Drive in South San Jose broke out in a garage around 4:17 p.m. and spread to the residence, said San Jose fire Capt. Reggie Williams.

"We determined that it was accidental," Williams said. "The homeowner had placed ashes from the fireplace in a plastic container in the garage."

Nobody was home at the time the blaze was reported. Firefighters searching the house found the unconscious cat and brought it outside, where it was revived and then taken to a veterinarian, Williams said.

A second fire was reported around 5 p.m. on Burman Drive near Hellyer County Park. Williams said it had been knocked down but did not immediately have additional information about that blaze.

Check back for updates to this story.

Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.