SAN JOSE -- Police doing a welfare check Thursday morning found an unconscious man at his home, briefly touching off a hazardous materials response.
What the team found was burning briquettes in a apartment on Makati Circle off Cottle Road, according to fire Capt. Cleo Doss. The man was taken to a local hospital, and there was no immediate information about his condition.
Doss said at 11:23 a.m. firefighters received a call from San Jose police about a possible hazardous materials incident, Doss said.
Police had been doing a health and welfare check when they found a victim unconscious. Firefighters arrived at 11:27 a.m. The hazmat team entered the residence and found briquettes burning, an elevated levels of carbon monoxide but "nothing that we felt would cause chemical illness," Doss said.
Some neighbors who were concerned were also checked out by firefighters for precautionary reasons, Doss said.
The four police officers who entered the home were also medically checked and are OK.
Contact Mark Gomez at 408-920-5869. Follow him on Twitter @MarkMgomez.