Man taken away after police standoff
A man was taken into custody after San Francisco police surrounded a recreational vehicle in the city's Outer Mission neighborhood while searching for a suspect in a shooting.
Television news footage showed the man being led away in handcuffs on Thursday morning.
Police did not immediately say whether he was arrested or release any additional details.
Police responded to a report of a shooting in the area about 3:10 a.m. They found a man in his 30s suffering from a gunshot wound to his leg.
He is expected to survive.
A police SWAT team was called in to search for the suspect and officers were seen surrounding the RV with their guns drawn later Thursday morning.
Ex-lawmaker accused of domestic violence
Former California Assemblyman Chris Norby has been arrested in Orange County for investigation of domestic violence and child endangerment.
The Orange County Register reports the 64-year-old was taken into custody Wednesday in Fullerton and booked into the city jail.
Police were not able to provide additional details regarding the allegations that led to the arrest. He was later released on a $10,000 bond.
In a phone interview with the Register, Norby said his arrest was the result of "false accusations" by his wife.
He declined to go into specifics, but described himself as a victim.
The Fullerton native served as councilman and mayor before joining the county board of supervisors.
He was elected to the state Legislature in 2009. In 2011, Norby lost his Assembly seat to Sharon Quirk-Silva.
Jury urges death penalty for murderer
An Orange County jury has recommended death for a man convicted of shooting and killing two people while stealing a car.
The Orange County Register says 42-year-old Hilbert Thomas showed no emotion as the recommendation was read Wednesday in a Santa Ana courtroom.
Thomas shot 49-year-old Elizabeth Palmer and 42-year-old Matthew Francis Scott in the head at their mobile home sales office before leaving with Palmer's 2004 Lexus.
Prosecutors said the real estate agent stole the Lexus in the hopes of using the car while showing homes and to make money in a down sales market.
Attorneys for the Garden Grove man told jurors Thomas was damaged by a difficult childhood.
Palmer's husband of 30 years, Richard Palmer, said the trial was draining and he was happy it's over.
County supervisors approve solar project
Riverside County supervisors have approved a solar project that would cover 7.5 square miles of desert and provide enough electricity for 225,000 homes.
The Press-Enterprise says the McCoy Solar Energy Project near Blythe is the largest approved so far in the county, both in total area and in the 750 megawatts of power it would generate. Most of it would be on public land just east of the McCoy Mountains.
The project is being developed by Florida-based NextEra. Construction could start next year.
Throughout the review process, environmentalists voiced concerns that construction would negatively impact populations of desert tortoises and migratory birds.
The McCoy project brings to six the number of active, commercial-scale solar projects approved in Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Three already are operating.
Replacements planned for nuclear plant
California regulators have approved a plan for two utilities to develop replacement power to help fill the void left by the closure of the San Onofre nuclear power plant.
The nuclear plant between San Diego and Los Angeles had generated enough electricity for 1.4 million homes.
The unanimous vote Thursday by the California Public Utilities Commission opens the way for Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric to find ways to plug that gap.
Commission President Michael Peevey says he would have preferred to find a way to replace the power without natural gas-fired generation, but it wasn't possible to rely solely on solar and other renewable energy, storage and conservation.
The Sierra Club has warned that the plan could result in more polluting power plants in the region.
Pedestrian struck, killed on Interstate 5
The California Highway Patrol says a man who got out of a car and tried to cross Interstate 5 on foot was fatally struck by a pickup truck in Downey south of Los Angeles.
The CHP says the man was a passenger in a car that pulled over to the shoulder of the southbound lanes near the Rio Hondo River shortly after 4 a.m.
He got out of the car, ran across the southbound lanes and jumped the median. While crossing the northbound lanes he was struck by a Ford pickup and killed.
The incident is under investigation.
All lanes are reopened after being closed for a time.
The shutdown caused a massive backup of trucks and cars headed north to Los Angeles and the San Joaquin Valley.
-- Associated Press