Man ordered to trial in slaying of ex-friend
A 22-year-old Oakland man has been ordered to stand trial on murder charges in connection with the fatal shooting of a former friend outside an Oakland liquor store last year.
Witnesses testified at a preliminary hearing Tuesday that Jason Hall shot and killed 22-year-old Oakland resident Marcus Evans on April 20 during a confrontation in the 9000 block of MacArthur Boulevard in Oakland. The daytime shooting was seen by several people and was captured on surveillance video.
Hall is being jailed in lieu of $5 million bail. He returns to court on April 8 for an arraignment.
-- Malaika Fraley, Staff
School locked down; gun sighting reported
East Bay Arts High School in San Lorenzo was locked down Wednesday morning after someone reported seeing a student with a gun, according to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.
The incident took place about 8:45 a.m. at the school at 20450 Royal Ave., said Sgt. J.D. Nelson.
After the anonymous report, deputies were alerted, searched the school campus and contacted a male student who reportedly was seen with a weapon. Deputies did not find a gun and were interviewing the boy.
The lockdown was lifted at 9:45 a.m. and no arrests had been made.
No students were injured and the incident remains under investigation, Nelson said.
-- Natalie Neysa Alund, Staff
Man grabs, sexually assaults woman
Police are looking for a man who grabbed and sexually assaulted a woman walking near downtown Oakland on Tuesday afternoon.
The 27-year-old woman was at 18th Street and San Pablo Avenue at 2:10 p.m. when a man grabbed her from behind, police said. The man fondled the woman as he dragged her backward until she was able to break free and call police, according to spokeswoman Officer Johnna Watson.
The woman did not know the man, described as 25 to 35 years old, about 5-foot-4 and approximately 160 pounds with black hair. He was wearing a gray shirt, black vest and gray sweatpants. His race was not known.
Police are investigating the case as a sexual assault and kidnapping.
Crime Stoppers of Oakland is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the man's arrest. Tipsters are asked to call the Youth and Family Services Division at 510-238-3641 or the tip line at 510-637-0298.
-- David DeBolt, Staff
Man held to trial on murder charges
An Alameda County judge on Wednesday ordered an Oakland man to trial on murder charges in the slaying of a 20-year-old man in the 3100 block of Coolidge Avenue in Oakland last year.
Jose Lepe, 30, is accused of shooting Oakland resident Michael Stenger as Stenger was walking to a relative's home on Dec. 1.
Oakland police said at the time of Lepe's arrest that Lepe claimed he shot Stenger because he believed that Stenger had shot him in February 2012. Lepe is being jailed without bail. He will be arraigned on April 10.
-- Malaika Fraley, Staff
Man fatally shot in West Oakland
A man was killed Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in West Oakland and the car believed used by the shooter was later found burned a few blocks away, police said.
Authorities have not released the name of the man killed. They believe he is 32 and lived in the area of the shooting.
The killing happened about 10:40 p.m. Tuesday in the 1600 block of Eighth Street near Campbell Street in the Lower Bottoms neighborhood across from the Campbell Village housing complex.
Sgt. Mike Gantt said the man killed was walking to a friend's house when a car drove by and someone inside began shooting at him. He died at the scene.
Police found dozens of shell casings in the street but no other injuries were reported.
About 4:15 a.m. Wednesday, a Lexus believed used in the shooting was found abandoned and set on fire in the 800 block of Pine Street at Chase Street.
Gantt said so far police don't have a motive for the killing and no arrests have been made.
The killing was Oakland's 22nd homicide of the year and the first since March 5.
Last year at this time there were 19 homicides in Oakland.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $10,000 in reward money for information leading to the arrest of the killer.
Anyone with information may call police at 510-238-3821 or Crime Stoppers at 510-777-8572.
-- Harry Harris, Staff
Groups holding free Walk to Nature event
An event promoting physical activity by connecting the community with the city's public shoreline is set for Saturday.
The second Walk to Nature event will start at two locations, where participants will walk from central Richmond to the Sea Gull picnic area at Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline in Point Richmond for lunch and recreational activities.
Starting points are at 450 Civic Center Plaza, where registration starts at 9 a.m. for the 3.6-mile walk to the shoreline; and the Richmond Greenway at Sixth and Ohio streets, where registration opens at 9:30 a.m. for the 2.2-mile walk.
Participants who register will receive a water bottle, wristband, and route map. Along both routes to the shoreline volunteers will staff water and first aid stations.
At the park, there will be food, activities, a raffle, Zumba and the chance to enjoy the natural setting.
At 1:30 p.m. there will be buses and shuttles to take participants from Miller/Knox to the starting points of their walk.
-- Chris Treadway, Staff