SAN JOSE -- A mobile home was destroyed and a couple of cats are unaccounted for after a Wednesday evening blaze at the Casa del Lago community near the Milpitas border, but fire crews were able to keep the flames from spreading to other units in the dense park.
A man who lives at the demolished home was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation after he went back inside the burning unit to try to find his cats, according to San Jose fire Capt. Rob Brown.
He said the man lived there with his wife, dog and two cats. The couple and the dog were out of the home when crews arrived at the scene after being summoned at 5:49 p.m.
"It was fully involved on crews' arrival," Brown said. "There were heavy flames throughout the structure, and it was already a defensive fire."
He said the homes at Casa del Lago are "all pretty tight and burn pretty hot," so crews worked to prevent it from spreading to other units.
A maintenance shed that burned behind the home suffered smoke damage, but no other structures were singed, Brown said.
"We were able to keep it pretty well confined," he said.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known. Around 7 p.m., crews were still dousing smoldering hot spots.
Casa del Lago is at 2151 Oakland Road. A property manager at the scene declined to comment.
Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.