OAKLAND -- Jurors began hearing evidence Wednesday at the trial for a 30-year-old man who a prosecutor says shot and killed two men in a West Oakland neighborhood in 2010 "for reasons we may never know."

Deputy district attorney Autrey James told the jury in the double-murder case against Oakland resident Deshawn Reed that multiple people saw Reed commit the March 5, 2010, afternoon shooting at 30th and Linden streets that killed 29-year-old Victor Johns and 56-year-old John Jones, both of Oakland.

But defense attorney Spencer Strellis said those witnesses described a shooter in a black hoodie, and Reed was wearing a dark plaid jacket when officers spotted him shortly after the shooting and arrested him. He suggested that the real shooter was another man in the area that day.

James said the victims were among several people who were standing outside in the residential neighborhood when Reed traveled there in a black Saturn driven by Jason Watts, who was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole last year after a jury convicted him of two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Johns and Jones.

Reed jumped out of the car and started firing, according to James. Johns was hit as he was running along the side of a house. Jones was hit with one shot as he was on the sidewalk and then was shot several more times as the gunman stood above him.

An Oakland police officer got to the scene minutes after the shooting and saw Reed and Watts driving in the opposite direction. Police didn't find a gun, or a hoodie, on him, but there was gunshot residue on his hand, according to the prosecutor.


Advertisement

Reed and Watts were tried separately because Reed was previously declared incompetent to stand trial, which put his prosecution on hold until doctors determined he was fit enough to participate in his defense.

Contact Malaika Fraley at 925-234-1684. Follow her at Twitter.com/malaikafraley.