Maddie's Pet Adoption Days is this weekend!! There will be free adoptions all weekend at the Alameda Animal Shelter located at 1590 Fortmann Way in Alameda. We will be open extended hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday to empty our shelter of all the wonderful adoptable animals waiting for their new homes. Throughout the weekend, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter will offer many free goodies to all adopters, including free dog training classes, cat beds, pet food samples, a FAAS bag and more.
June is "National Adopt a Shelter Cat Month" sponsored by the American Humane Association (AHA). They started this special month to highlight the fact that shelters are often filled with tiny kittens that are born each spring.
A wonderful way to take advantage of the Maddie's Pet Adoption Days is to adopt cats or kittens during this special month of the year.
The AHA has published these tips to help you have a great adoption:
1. Consider taking home two cats or kittens. They require exercise, mental stimulation and social interaction. Two cats can provide this for each other.
2. Find a cat with a personality that meshes with yours. Just as we each have our own personality, so do cats.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days after the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home. Introduce your new pet slowly to household members and friends.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a newly adopted feline.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives (litter box, bed, bowls, toys). Be prepared so your new cat can start feeling at home right away.
7. If you're considering giving a cat as a gift, the recipient must be an active participant in the adoption process to ensure a great match.
The three W's: Wiggle Waggle Walk is June 8 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Harbor Bay Ferry Terminal. Registration is only $25 for a fun afternoon of doggy contests, great food and vendors and a scenic 1-mile walk. Register at http://thirdannualwigglewagglewalk.eventbrite.com. Visit our website at www.alamedaanimalshelter.org for more information.
Pet Of The Week: SPOCK is a 9-month-old white-and-black Chihuahua mix that's a shy but curious boy. Spock would do best in an adults-only home. Free dog training comes with his adoption.
Dog Alley: There are 13 dogs available at the Alameda Animal Shelter. NOODLES is a super-cool 2-year-old gray pit bull that's playful, loving and fun. TINY TIGER is an unusual looking, very cute brindled Chihuahua, about 4 years old.
Cat Lair: There are 26 cats available at the shelter. SNICKERS is a 2-month-old tortie kitten, and she's a little darling. TINKERBELL is a 2-month-old brown tiger kitten that will melt your heart!
RABBIT ROW: MARTIN is an agouti, and SPECKLES is an English spot. DULCE is a black New Zealander, and CUBBY is a handsome brown rabbit. All of the rabbits are neutered.
Mim Carlson is executive director of Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter. Visit the shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way at Grand Street, call 510-337-8565 or visit www.alamedaanimalshelter.org to view the animals.