OAKLAND -- A propane tank that exploded caused a fire at an Oakland apartment building, although no injuries were reported.
The blaze occurred in the 3500 block of Brighton Avenue shortly after 8 p.m., displacing six people from three apartments. A dog and a cat were also rescued by firefighters, with the cat suffering smoke inhalation. The animal was treated with asthma medication and is expected to recover.
The explosion happened when the owner of the building turned on the propane heater in an effort to exterminate termites, said Battalion Chief Coy Justice.
Officials did not immediately offer a damage estimate for the building.
Follow Karina Ioffee at Twitter.com/kioffee.