ALAMEDA -- A fire at a Pacific Avenue residence Thursday night caused about $20,000 in damage before it was contained, firefighters said.
What sparked the fire at the two-story structure in the 1500 block of the street remains under investigation. But Alameda fire Capt. Jim Colburn said the fire is not considered suspicious.
Crews were dispatched at 11:33 p.m. and found an exterior stairwell on fire. The fire had also spread to the attic.
The occupants, who had already evacuated the building by the time firefighters arrived, were displaced and are now staying with family, Colburn said.
The fire was confined to the stairs and attic and quickly extinguished, according to the fire department.
Reach Peter Hegarty at 510-748-1654 or follow him on Twitter.com/Peter_Hegarty.