Click photo to enlarge
Fire personnel as well at a HazMat team work a hazardous materials incident on a business on Depot Road in Hayward, Calif., on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014. Roadways were blocked and a shelter-in-place order was given for a one mile radius around the area. (Dan Honda/Bay Area News Group)

HAYWARD -- Authorities lifted a shelter-in-place order after a hazardous materials release Tuesday afternoon at a chemical company, and police said there were no reports of damage or injuries.

Two schools and a busy state route were closed after workers reported potentially noxious gases seeping into the air, authorities said.

The incident was reported at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Contractors Chemical, located at 3130 Depot Road. The company is out of business but still stores chemicals at the site, including epoxies and catalysts that solidify concrete, said Don Nicholson, a spokesman with the Hayward Fire Department. The all-clear was given about 4:20 p.m., police said.

On Tuesday, workers began mixing large amounts of chemicals in an attempt to turn them into solids, then dispose of them, according to Nicholson. But a reaction spread the vapors through the neighborhood and prompted a shelter-in-place alert.

Students and staff at Ochoa Middle School and Mount Eden High School as well as residents living within a 1-mile radius of the business were asked to stay indoors and close all doors and windows. Nearby residents and businesses were also asked to turn off heating, ventilation and air conditioning units.

Northbound Clawiter Road at State Route 92 was shut down to traffic but was reopened.

Staff writers Natalie Neysa Alund and Kristin J. Bender contributed to this report.



Advertisement