OAKLAND -- Jury deliberations are expected to begin Wednesday at the trial of an Oakland man who says he was acting in self-defense when he killed a 39-year-old woman and wounded her boyfriend in East Oakland last year.
Prosecutor Melissa Dooher on Tuesday asked the jury to convict Rasheed Strane, 24, of murder, attempted murder and shooting into an occupied vehicle for the Aug. 17, 2013 shooting that she describes as an ambush attack. The victim Rebecca Viera's 5-year-old son was sitting in the back seat at the time of the shooting, which occurred at 72nd and Lacey avenues in Strane's neighborhood.
Defense attorney Ernie Castillo, who asked jurors for an acquittal, argued there is evidence to back Strane's claim that Viera's boyfriend Joseph Johnson threatened Strane with what the defendant thought was a long barreled firearm, but turned out to be a sheathed machete.
Dooher argued that Strane fabricated a self-defense story after his arrest. She said Johnson never threatened Strane and had only stopped in the neighborhood on the way to McDonalds at Viera's request because Viera heard her friend planned to physically fight Strane's girlfriend there.
Contact Malaika Fraley at 925-234-1684. Follow her at Twitter.com/malaikafraley.