Eight out of the 101 adults arrested during the early hours of Nov. 3 following the Occupy Oakland general strike were cited and released Monday, according to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.
They were scheduled to be arraigned at the Wiley M. Manuel Superior Court. But the District Attorney's Office declined to charge them and has 12 months to fully drop the cases.
Three other people were charged, though, two with misdemeanors, one of whose probation was revoked.
The third was a felony charge against Roy Sorvari II, 22, of Antioch, who was charged with resisting arrest during the standoff between law enforcement and demonstrators Nov. 3. Judge Rhonda Burgess set Sorvari's bail at $15,000 and refused to release him on his own recognizance.
Arrest records claim he tried to kick and hit an officer. The judge said Sorvari gave a videotaped confession.
Sorvari was "in the wrong place at the wrong time," his attorney, Jeffrey Kaloustian, told the judge. "He's obviously been banged up and brutalized," Kaloustian told the court.
Kaloustian is a volunteer attorney with the National Lawyers Guild.
Sorvari had about four stitches near his left eyebrow and two black eyes, the attorney said.
His parents, Lynn and Roy Sorvari Sr., described their son as a former boy scout who works at Target in Antioch, where the family lives. He is a student at Los Medanos Community College. A weapon charge in August from Martinez had been dropped. He had been carrying a homemade Taser that was part of his costume, which included self-made armor.
On Thursday, he was wearing armor, shin guards, a black Balaklava and carrying a shield when he was arrested trying to intervene between law enforcement and protesters.
"Unfortunately, he got caught in the middle of this," Lynn Sorvari said.
The last time they saw their son was last Tuesday, when he left home to serve as security at the Occupy Oakland camp. He intended to stay for the Nov. 2 general strike.
He is a member of the good Samaritan group, Real Life Super Heroes.
"He said he would be home Wednesday night," Lynn Sorvari said.
But he didn't show up for his Thursday morning class or that night.
"I didn't know if he was alive or dead until Thursday night," his mother said.
She called authorities, who confirmed he was in custody but said she could not contact him.
They left the courthouse in shock at the bail amount of $15,000.
The elder Sorvari said they could not afford the $1,500 it would take to free their son until his next court date, Nov. 10, when his attorney will enter a plea.
The majority of the remaining arrested were cited and released Nov. 3. They will appear in court in December.