This should make "Star Wars" fans happy.
J.J. Abrams has apparently changed his mind and agreed to direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, according to TheWrap. website
"Argo" director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another source told TheWrap. And thanks, Ben, for your interest. But we -- I mean, uh "Star Wars" needs someone like Abrams.
Wow. So now Abrams is in charge of both "Star Wars and "Star Trek." That's kind of like being elected the president of the United States back in 1984 when you already are president of the Soviet Union.
No, I'm not too excited to be writing this. Let's move on.
Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm last year and announced it would make new "Star Wars" films, fans, members of the media and industry executives have speculated about which director would take the job. Abrams told Entertainment Weekly in November that he wasn't going to take the job.
He did say "Star Wars" was the first movie that "blew my mind" in terms of special effects.
Lucasfilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams, one of the most successful directors and producers in Hollywood -- and a man beloved by fanboys. He runs one of the industry's top production companies, Bad Robot, and created or co-created television franchises like "Lost," "Fringe" and "Alias." He has also directed film spectacles "Mission: Impossible III," "Star Trek" and "Super 8."
Abrams has been feverishly working on "Star Trek Into Darkness," for Paramount, his second Star Trek film since he rebooted the franchise in 2009. "Into Darkness," still in postproduction, opens May 18.
Though he has several producing jobs in front of him, Abrams had been uncommitted as a director. He will have to jump right into "Star Wars," which Disney has slated for a 2015 release. "Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter Michael Arndt is penning the script.
Reached by TheWrap, Lynne Hale, spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, declined to comment immediately.