SAN FRANCISCO -- Prosecutors announced Friday that charges will not be sought against 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree, who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a swanky downtown hotel.
A statement released Friday by San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon said: "The San Francisco Police Department -- Special Victims Unit completed and submitted a thorough investigation of the allegations against Michael Crabtree. Following a review of all the evidence, my office has determined that no charges will be filed against Michael Crabtree at this time."
Later Friday night, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke also issued a statement.
"We are pleased to learn of the San Francisco District Attorney's announcement following a thorough review of the matter," read the news release. "Michael and the team can now put this behind us and move forward."
SFPD said earlier this week that detectives were still working the case, which stemmed from an alleged incident in a room at the W Hotel in downtown San Francisco in the wee hours of Jan. 13 following a victory over the Green Bay Packers. However, on Wednesday a police source told the San Francisco Chronicle that two women were disputing the allegation that Crabtree, 25, had sexually assaulted a third woman at the party.
The case was announced on Jan. 18, after the team had left for the NFC Championship game in Atlanta. Police said Crabree and his lawyers agreed to be
Media reports held that Crabtree said the case had no affect on him in the game, which the 49ers won to secure a spot in the Super Bowl.
"No distractions, baby, it's football," Crabtree reportedly told NFL.com after the game. "This is what I do for a living. I play ball."
The day after the allegation surfaced, Crabtree's lawyer issued a statement saying his client was "(confident)
Representatives from the San Francisco District Attorney's Office could not be reached for further comment Friday evening.
Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.