Serves 8 to 10
Note: The dough recipe makes enough for two galettes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
6 ounces unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
About 1/2 cup ice water
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
8 ripe peaches, sliced
Splash of almond extract, optional
2 tablespoons sugar, garnish
1. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes. Freeze the butter and dry ingredients separately for 30 minutes.
2. In an electric mixer or food processor, briefly mix the dry ingredients together, then add the butter. Mix or pulse until the butter is incorporated but some chunks still remain.
3. Add the water a little at a time with the mixer on low or, if using a food processor, while pulsing, until the dough just begins to clump.
4. Form the dough into 2 disks; wrap in plastic. Let one disk rest in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes; freeze the other for later use.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or 375 degrees, if convection).
6. For the filling, stir flour and sugar together. Gently toss with fruit and almond extract, if using.
7. Roll tart dough into an 11-inch circle. Spoon fruit filling into the pastry. Don't over fill your pastry or your crust will become soggy. Fold the outermost edges of the pastry over onto the fruit to form a 1-inch crust. Brush the edges with melted butter or water and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until edges are light brown and fruit juices are bubbling. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
-- Becky Courchesne, Frog Hollow Farm