OAKLAND -- An 18-year-old soccer player was gunned down and killed outside his East Oakland house Friday night after he returned from a game, police said.
Hector Matias, a Guatemalan restaurant worker, was shot to death at 7:12 p.m. in his car in the 200 block of Peroly Court, a few blocks west of Fruitvale Avenue, and another person was wounded in two East Oakland shootings in three hours Friday night. The shootings do not appear to be related, police said Saturday.
Matias was an avid soccer player who had just returned home from a game about a mile away at San Antonio Park, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said they did not have a motive, and no arrests have been made.
The homicide was the city's 108th of the year. Last year at this time, there were 101 homicides in Oakland.
At 10:20 p.m. Friday, a man was shot in the 7600 block of MacArthur Boulevard.
The victim, whose name and age were not released, went to a hospital, where he was in stable condition.
Police did not disclose a motive and said no arrests had been made.
Friday's homicide was the city's first since Oct. 31, when Wilbur Bartley, 50, was found slain at 7:22 p.m. inside Marcus Cellular, 9230 International Blvd., a Metro PCS outlet and Direct TV dealership. Bartley, who lived a few blocks away, was in the process of closing his business for the evening when he was confronted by someone who robbed and shot him.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $10,000 in reward money for information leading to the arrest of the suspects in the killings and up to $5,000 in reward money in the other shooting. Anyone with information can call police at 510-238-3821, a tip line at 510-773-2805, or Crime Stoppers at 510-777-8572 or 510-777-3211.
Tips can also be sent anonymously via text message. Text to 888-777 and include the words "TipOaklandPD".