UNION CITY — Police and school officials are investigating reports of several New Haven students becoming ill or "under the influence" last week after eating brownies laced with some sort of substance.

Several students said the substance was heroin, which caused at least two of the victims to go into convulsions. School district officials have not confirmed what was in the brownies, saying they are awaiting toxicology reports.

James Logan High School reported five such incidents, while Cesar Chavez Middle School reported one. A seventh student was caught with a substance-laced baked good Jan. 8 at Conley-Caraballo High School, but it wasn't clear if the student had ingested any drugs and gotten sick as a result, district spokesman Rick La Plante said.

Union City police Lt. Ben Horner said authorities are investigating and "have received information from students and parents that have been very helpful."

Families of middle and high school students in the district received recorded telephone messages from school principals Friday evening, informing them of the situation.

"Several of our students have become very sick or under the influence after eating brownies that someone is giving to them. We are working with the police to identify the individuals responsible, as they may be doing this off campus or near campus. In the meantime, please talk with your children about this serious issue," Logan Principal Amy McNamara says in her recorded message.


Advertisement

Schools also are reminding students not to accept foods from others, LaPlante said.

"We've warned our students about the dangers of eating foods that have been laced with something, either knowingly or unwittingly, and also reminded them that it isn't a good idea to eat foods that others offer to share, especially when we've had incidents like these," he said in a statement.