Potato Croquettes with Dill-Creme Fraiche
Makes about 24
3 cups cold mashed potatoes
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1 tablespoon roasted garlic
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 cup French's Fried Onions
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 quarts canola oil
Salt, to taste
1 cup creme fraiche
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1. Stir together mashed potatoes, egg yolk, Parmesan and roasted garlic. Roll the potato mixture between your hands into the shape and size of golf balls. Keep cold.
2. In a food processor, process the breadcrumbs and fried onions until evenly chopped. Place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Place the flour in another bowl. In a third bowl, whisk the 4 eggs until smooth.
4. One at a time, dredge the potato balls in the flour, shaking off any excess. Next, roll them through the whisked eggs, draining off any excess. Finish by coating them in the breadcrumb mixture; set aside for frying.
5. Combine the creme fraiche and chopped dill. Set the dipping sauce aside.
6. Heat the oil to 365 degrees. Fry the potato croquettes until they turn golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and season with salt while warm. Serve with the dill creme fraiche for dipping.
-- Jason Berthold, chef, RN74