ALAMEDA -- In the realm of social media, Rolando McClain no longer is a member of the Raiders.

According to the Raiders, McClain still is on the roster.

The third-year middle linebacker missed practice Wednesday because of "team-related issues." Pressed for details, coach Dennis Allen said, "No more details, no more comments, just team-related issues."

McClain was at practice but not present during the open locker room session with the media. According to a tweet by the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, McClain wrote on his Facebook wall "Officially no longer an Oakland Raider" and followed it up with "Well, technically I am. But I'm mentally done. Just waiting on my papers."

Later, Rapoport tweeted that McClain's Facebook wall had been wiped clean.

A Raiders spokesman would only say, "Officially, (McClain) is still on the roster" and he was not included on the league waiver wire. A phone message to McClain's agent, Pat Dye Jr., was not returned, but a source said his representation was unaware of any change in McClain's status.

According to CBSsports.com, McClain was kicked out of practice by Allen after a "heated exchange.''

Whether McClain will be waived, remain on the roster or has left the team of his own volition remains unclear.

As the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft and the Butkus Award winner out of Alabama, being placed on waivers would make McClain the Raiders' biggest draft bust since quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Drafted to be the centerpiece of the Raiders defense, McClain excelled as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense under Nick Saban for an Alabama team that won the national title.

A full-time player in his first two NFL seasons, McClain was replaced in the nickel defense by rookie Miles Burris after the fourth game this season, reducing his playing time.

McClain continued as a starter and middle linebacker in the 4-3 base defense but has been inconsistent as a run-stopper.

The most recent example was in a 34-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, when McClain failed to fill his gap and seemed to willingly engage with an offensive lineman as running back BenJarvis Green-Ellis raced past him and ran 48 yards to the 1-yard line.

Conditioning seemed to be an issue with McClain, as Allen said part of the reason he was removed from the nickel defense is he needed fewer plays to be more productive.

McClain was recently cleared of a legal issue after an initial conviction and six-month municipal court jail sentence on misdemeanor convictions including illegal discharge of a firearm were erased when the victim declined to cooperate in appeals court.

Considering McClain's role and the salary based on his draft slot, he was unlikely to be around next season under his current contract. He made $970,000 this season and was scheduled to make $4,005,000 in 2013, $5,805,000 in 2014 and $2,665,000 in 2015.

With Travis Goethel on injured reserve following ACL surgery, Omar Gaither is the lone player with experience at middle linebacker if McClain is out of the picture.

Gaither played five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and one with the Carolina Panthers, but he failed to make the Houston Texans in training camp this season. He was signed by the Raiders on Nov. 14 after Goethel went on injured reserve.

With a 3-8 record, the Raiders are in the process of getting a look at players who could figure into future plans.

"There are some young guys we want to get a look at," Allen said.

For more on the Raiders, visit the Inside the Oakland Raiders blog at ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders. Follow Jerry McDonald on twitter at Twitter.com/Jerrymcd.