SAN JOSE -- The Earthquakes have a slim chance to get one of America's promising young defenders in a weighed lottery Tuesday.
San Jose is one of three Major League Soccer teams in contention to sign former under-17 national team defender Mobi Fehr. The Quakes have a 1.4 percent chance of landing Fehr compared to Portland's 83.1 percent and Seattle's 15.5 percent. The odds are based on the clubs' 2012 performances.
Fehr, who was born in New York but also has Japanese and Swiss citizenship, asked to play on the West Coast. He played central defender during the 2011 U-17 World Cup in Mexico.
Fehr told Goal.com last month that he signed with MLS because of the league's improved international reputation.
"I've been watching the league and it's progressed a lot since a couple of years ago," Fehr said. "The solidarity of MLS is good for young players, and there's a lot of scouting going on in MLS. More and more players from MLS are going over to Europe."
The defender also told Goal.com that he hopes playing in MLS will improve his chances of making the under-20 team.
Contact Elliott Almond at 408-920-5865 and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/elliottalmond