Embroiled in court cases on both sides of the Atlantic, Rory McIlroy has been visiting lawyers' offices instead of winning golf titles this year.

The Northern Irishman remains without a victory in 2013 as he returns to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, this week to defend his last victory, the World Tour Championship. He's slipped from No. 1 in the rankings to No. 6.

In the 12 months since, he has become tied up in legal wrangling with his former management company, Horizon Sports Management, and his former sponsor, Oakley.

"I've seen more lawyers' offices and more lawyers this year than I care to see in my entire life," McIlroy said this week from Dubai. "It's not something I ever want to go through again, and I'm making sure that I won't go through it again.

"As a golfer, you want your mind as clear as possible, and it's hard for that to happen when you've got other things that are going on that, firstly, you don't want to happen, and secondly, you don't feel should be happening. It has been a distraction."

McIlroy said he was taking some advice from Tiger Woods about how to handle his off-course issues.

"Sometimes you have to say 'no' and sometimes you have to put yourself first and say 'no,' and I need to do this for myself to maintain the level in my game," McIlroy said.

"It's something Tiger actually said to me last year. He said you have to remember what got you here in the first place, and you know Tiger, it's 'no' 99 percent of the time for him."


Advertisement

Manila tournament to go ahead: The Asian Tour has confirmed the inaugural Resorts World Manila Masters golf tournament will proceed as scheduled this week despite the devastation Typhoon Haiyan wreaked on parts of the southern Philippines. Asian Tour chief executive Mike Kerr said in a statement that the decision to continue with the tournament that begins Thursday at the Southwoods Golf and Country Club was made after "careful consideration and consultation with the local golf associations, authorities and relief agencies."

Johnson replaces Els: Ernie Els withdrew this week from Tiger Woods' World Challenge to play the Nedbank Challenge in his native South Africa on Dec. 5-8. Els was replaced in the 18-man field at Dustin Johnson.

  • Former Lakers great and current Warriors executive Jerry West is stepping away from his role as executive director of Los Angeles' Northern Trust Open at Riviera.