The Earthquakes are close to signing an experienced Argentine attacking midfielder, according to Spanish-language media reports Friday.
San Jose is supposed to reach a deal with Matias Pérez García of Tigre, a suburban Buenos Aires team playing in the country's first division. An unnamed spokesman told Clarin of Buenos Aires that Tigre would receive a $2 million transfer fee for the player.
An Earthquakes spokesman declined to comment Friday evening. President Dave Kaval said earlier in the week he would not comment on any negotiations. But Kaval reiterated the team's need for an attacking midfielder as it undergoes a transition from a direct style to possession style of play.
Perez Garcia, 29, seems to fit the Quakes' needs. He found a home at Tigre in 2012 when the club finish second in the '12 Copa Sudamericana. The 5-foot-5 playmaker has scored 17 goals in 73 games in all competitions for Tigre.
Perez Garcia also has played for clubs in Uruguay, Chile and France. Buenos Aires newspapers reported this month that the midfielder also was in negotiations with Racing, a bigger club in the Argentine capital. The midfielder has appeared with his country's youth national teams but never with la Albiceleste on the senior level.
Major League Soccer teams have until Aug. 8 to acquire foreign players per the FIFA summer transfer window.
The Quakes (5-8-5) showed the first signs of a new style in a 5-1 victory Wednesday over the Chicago Fire, playing Yannick Djalo on top with Chris Wondolowski. Target forwards Steven Lenhart (knee) and Alan Gordon (undisclosed) didn't play.
San Jose plays host to Spanish champion Atletico Madrid in an exhibition Sunday at Candlestick Park.
Contact Elliott Almond at 408-920-5865 and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/elliottalmond.