Anise Drop Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, plus enough water to equal 1/2 cup
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon anise extract
2 teaspoons anise seeds, optional
1 teaspoon fennel pollen, optional
1. Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
2. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs, sugar and anise extract until thick and pale, so when the beater is lifted, the mixture falls back into the bowl in ribbons.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, folding it in a quarter at a time. Fold in anise seeds with the final addition of flour.
4. Drop or pipe teaspoonfuls onto sheet pans that have been greased or lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle fennel pollen on top decoratively.
5. Let dry, uncovered, for 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Keep out of sight, or children and spouses will be tempted to eat them.
6. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
-- Angela Gong Salvatore, Waterbar