Flourless Chocolate Torte
16 ounces chocolate
8 ounces unsalted butter cut into pieces
2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly butter the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium pan, melt chocolate, butter and almond butter over low heat, while stirring. Stir in water, espresso powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Separate the eggs; place egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until thick and lemon-colored, about 3-5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate mixture.
4. In a clean mixer bowl, using the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold small amounts of whites into the egg yolk mixture to lighten the batter. Add the remaining egg whites, folding just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
-- Leo Beckerman, Wise Sons Delicatessen