Former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle will be released from jail Monday and Oscar Grant III's family and supporters will be in Los Angeles over the weekend for several events leading up to his release, a family spokesman said.
Mehserle, 29, was convicted in July of involuntary manslaughter in the killing of Grant, a Hayward resident, on the Fruitvale BART station platform Jan. 1, 2009. He was sentenced to two years at Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail.
Cephus Johnson, Grant's uncle and a family spokesman, said the family was first told by state officials that Mehserle would be released Sunday, but then the date changed to Monday. Under law, the family of a crime victim must be notified when the perpetrator is released.
Johnson said he worries that Mehserle will be allowed out of jail without attending a final court hearing. "We are disappointed," he said, adding that the family also has not gotten firm information about the exact time of the release.
Both a federal civil suit and an appeal of Mehserle's conviction remain active in the courts.
Michael Rains, Mehserle's defense attorney, said last month that Mehserle would prefer to "fade into oblivion" and lead a normal life with a job and family. He will be on parole and Rains said he will have to work with his parole officer on the details of where he can live.
Several events are slated for the weekend, including a 4 p.m. "emergency town hall meeting" with family and supporters from Oakland at the Southern California Library, 6120 S. Vermont. Ave., in Los Angeles. At 8:30 a.m. Monday, supporters will be at the final court hearing at Los Angeles Superior Court, 210 W. Temple St.
The group will then walk to the nearby U.S. Department of Justice offices to "demand federal action," said Jubilee Shine, an activist with the Los Angeles Coalition for Justice for Oscar Grant.